Monday, April 27, 2009

Hurrahs!

It was a good weekend. On Friday, my sweet (and hot) fiance had a birthday, ending that 23-day stretch of the year that we're different ages. Happy birthday week, my love! Hurrah! (As a side note, I realized yesterday that the movie Independence Day came out in the middle of my life. This fact, for some strange reason, blew my mind.)

Then on Saturday, my sweet niece had a birthday - her very first and only birth day. Congratulations to my sister and her expanded family! Sarah Elizabeth came nine days before she was due, and that's good news to her Aunt Emily. If she had come late, my sister may not have been able to make it to my wedding, so now I can breathe a sigh of relief. I can't wait to meet and hold the new one, and, ok, I can't wait to hold the old ones too. Hurrah!

On Saturday night, I joined fiance's family at his mother's house for a birthday celebration. Fiance's mother and her husband love to cook, and they're good at it. This works in my favor, except for that whole passing-for-five-months-pregnant thing that happens when I finish a meal at their house. Totally worth it though. A few days before the Saturday gathering, my future mother-in-law emailed all of us requesting lists of our favorite dishes. We responded with several things that we like, little knowing that she would make ALL of them. Here is the menu from Saturday, and take note that there were six people total in attendance: Appetizers of homemade fried chicken fingers with homemade honey mustard and fresh veggies with dill dip; for the main course(s) five humongous strip steaks, tilapia with mango salsa (one apiece), pork chops with barbecue sauce (one apiece); sides of potato salad, cole slaw, and steamed asparagus; key lime pie and strawberry shortcake for dessert. An hour after eating, I got into a bikini for the hot tub, and such sticking out of the gut, such forming of bellybutton doughnuts with hands, such talking of bellybutton people, and such laying of hands atop child-carrying-like tummy that bathroom mirror has never seen and never will see again.

Until my next meal there.

We were spoiled rotten for our April birthdays. Hurrah!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you are so cute, Emily. good to see you last night! be sure to send me a full list of people for the cookout...I will go ahead and make an invite today:) Esther