Sunday, November 30, 2008

Quoth the Raven

Yay! You got them all! Thanks for playing, everyone. I love the quotes game, so please quiz me on movie lines from time to time. Isn't it fun?

Here's a little game that's going around Facebook, but I prefer to do my posting here. The movie quote game has long been a favorite for my brother and me, so I'm excited about playing it with you all. These are the rules if you'd like to keep the game going:
1. Pick 15 of your favorite movies.
2. Find a quote from each movie.
3. Post them for everyone to guess.
4. Strike it out when someone guesses correctly, and put who guessed it and the movie.
5. NO GOOGLING/using IMDb search or other search functions.
That's the intro, and here are my quotes. When you figure one out, leave a note for me in the comments section. You can guess as many as you'd like as many times as you'd like. Good luck!

1. - Now, remember, not a word of this to your papa. You know how he plagues the girls about their beaus.
- Everybody knows but Papa?
- Your papa's not supposed to know. It's enough we're letting him work hard every day to support the whole flock of us. He can't have everything.

Meet Me in St. Louis - Erin

2. a. We don't like what we don't understand, in fact it scares us, and this monster is mysterious at least. Hint: this line is sung. If you write it out like it sounds, it goes something like:
We don't like
What we don't
Understand in fact it scares us
And this monster is mysterious at leeeeast.

Bring your guns!
Bring your knives!
Save your children and your wives
We'll save our village and our liiiiiiiiiives....

Beauty and the Beast - Elizabeth (and Erin)

3. a. - He's a gentleman. A gentleman fits in anyplace.
- A sponge fits in anyplace.

b. Do I have to remind you this is my theatre?
- So, what, nobody argues with the landlord?

c. You think beautiful girls are going to stay stars forever? I should say not! Any minute now they're going to be out! Finished! Then it'll be my turn!

Funny Girl - Dar

4. a. Villainy wears many masks, none of which so dangerous as virtue.
or
b. - We haven't heard your name yet, friend.
- I have not yet said it.

Sleepy Hollow - Jonny

5. - Your Dad was so proud of you. He knew you were a predominantly accelerated child.
- What about me?
- You are rebellious and ungrateful of my love.

Almost Famous - Jonny

6. a. The Lord has blessed us all today... It's just that he has been particularly good to me.
or
b. For it is true we can seldom help those closest to us. Either we don't know what part of ourselves to give or, more often than not, the part we have to give is not wanted. And so it those we live with and should know who elude us. But we can still love them - we can love completely without complete understanding.

A River Runs Through It - Lyndee

7. -Have you ever transcended space and time?
- Yes. No. Uh, time, not space... No, I don't know what you're talking about.

I Heart Huckabees - Bubba

8. a. Ahah. The old rubber ducky with invisibility-spray trick. Check.
or
b. There is a menu correction, okay. We will now be serving bologna sandwiches.
[cook shouts something]
But, no bread.

Muppets from Space - Jonny

9. a. -Do you speak Gaelic?
- Fluently
- How do you say, "Let's get out of here?"

b. This is frightfully intimate. I know just enough French to be embarrassed! Could you...refine it a little and tell me in effect what it says?

c. It's not that I'm prudish, but my mother told me never to enter a man's room in months ending in 'r.'

An Affair to Remember - Dar

10. I'm an orphan, and I've never taken drugs because I missed the sixties. I was an accountant.
Hook - R.C.

11. -There is a war on! How is it that you are headed west?
- Well, we kinda face to the north and real subtle-like turn left.

Last of the Mohicans - R.C.

12. - What she's done? I'm all but lame from the bite on my leg!
- Oh! You mean she bit you?
- No, her dog!
- Oh, she bit her dog, eh?

The Wizard of Oz - Pop

13. - Christopher can scoff, but I know how hard you've been praying; and now God is answering your prayers.
- That's not why I pray, Harry. I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time, waking and sleeping.

Shadowlands - Pop

14. a. You show me a good piggy-backer and I'll show you a real human. Now you take Abraham Lincoln for instance - a natural born piggy-backer.

b. *singing* Young people in looooooooooove are very seldom huuuungry.

c. 20 millions and you don't know how to dunk.

It Happened One Night - Elizabeth (and Jonny)

15. I give up. I see no point in living if I can't be beautiful.
Howl's Moving Castle - Jonny

BONUS *
16. I said I would and I will, but I'm under the gun here. (That's for you, Mark.)
The Sandlot - Mark
17. I fight gangs for local charities and stuff.
The Princess Bride - Bubba

20 comments:

Keeping Up With the Joneses said...

#12
Wizard of Oz

#13
Shadowlands

MARK and LORI said...

#16 Sandlot of course. Wow, these are some good quotes. I'm only familiar with a few. The one about subtedly turning west is killing me.

Mark

Anonymous said...

#7. Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.
#17 The Princess Bride
-Bubba

Emily said...

I'm impressed about #17, Bubs. That one is obscure. #7 is still open, though.

R.C. said...

#11 The Last of the Mohicans

R.C. said...

Oh, and #10 is Hook

Anonymous said...

My fault, #7 is "I Heart Huckabees". the exchange between Dustin Hoffman and Jason Swartzman(?).
Bubba

Six in the Mix said...

#1 Meet Me in St. Louis.

Erin

Six in the Mix said...

#4 is somewhere in my brain taunting me. I can actually imagine it sticking out its tongue and saying, "Nanny nanny...." I have a love/hate relationship with movie quote quizzes.

Emily said...

Ewin, quit tormenting yourself. I don't think you've seen that one. #2, however, you know quite well. You took me to see it in the theater.

jonny said...

#4-Sleepy Hollow

#5-Almost Famous

#8- Muppets from Space

#15- Howl's Moving Castle

-Jonny

Lyndee said...

#6 is River Runs Through It.

I wanted #11!

Anonymous said...

#2 Young Frankenstein?
-Bubba

Elizabeth Glass-Turner said...

#2: Beauty and the Beast.
#14: It Happened One Night

Six in the Mix said...

#2 Beauty and the Beast
Erin

Six in the Mix said...

Shoot! Elizabeth beat me to it.

I knew it without looking though. :)

Dar said...

#3. funny girl. i forgot how much i loved that movie and will watch it immediately the next time i am at my parents.

#9. an affair to remember. or breakfast at tiffany's. but i'm pretty sure it's an affair to remember....

-dar

Jonny said...

14- It Happened One Night

-Jonny

Elizabeth Glass-Turner said...

Name this:

"He had yellow eyes - I swear to God, yellow eyes."

Emily said...

Puh-lease! A Christmas Story.
Try again, Glass...if you dare!