Monday, November 10, 2008

The Poor House

Rose Smith: Money. I hate, loathe, despise and abominate money.
Her father: You also spend it.
~Lines from Meet Me in St. Louis, my childhood favorite movie.

Money has been on my mind, dear Reader, for many months now. I work with it daily; it's my job, in part. The economy, also, is apparently in the crapper and we're all going to end up in the streets where we will fight for the highly coveted job of street sweeper and shit disposer because all other workers like mechanics, plumbers, electricians, videographers, and administrative assistants to the executive staffs will no longer be necessary. Or we'll all cut back on our spending a bit, which brings me to the subject of today's post.

You see, Bossy is hosting a poverty party, and I'm thinking about joining it for this week. No, forget the whole "thinking about" it thing; I'm joining this week. So there. Hmm Hmm (as my mom puts it). I'm joining the party for the following reasons:
  1. Frugality = good
  2. I'd like to save a good chunk of change in the next year.
  3. I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do (budget and stick to the budget) I do not do, but what I hate I do. I hear you, Paul. I get it.
  4. I'd like some accountability (shudder) to actually do the things I tell my head that I will do.
  5. I want to set an example for charitable givers. I work for a nonprofit, and when our donors are sacrificing to give to our organization, I want to sacrifice and give right along with them. I think I'll have to dedicate an entire post to my thoughts on this subject, but for now this explanation will have to do.
Really, I'm not in terrible shape. I'm not in a personal financial crisis at present, but I know I can do some tweaking that should save heartache in the future. Tonight: the budget. Tomorrow: the world! In the interest of accountability, company, and fun, this week I'll be sharing the few money-saving tips I have with you, and I'll be asking for your help and advice in trimming down my own spending. Father, you can just send me your 150-page dissertation on penny pinching by mail.

Oh, and thanks for college.


No comments: