Sunday, October 19, 2008

My Fidgeter

Women learned long ago that if they wanted to keep their hair clips intact, they'd better keep them away from my boyfriend. He's a fidgeter, ladies and gents. A fidgeter. I can't tell you how many times I've seen him snatch up spare change, bobby pins, and hair ties and twirl them between his fingers. Most of the time he doesn't even know he's doing it. I'll ask him for my bobby pins back and he'll say, "What? Oh. I didn't even know they were in my hands." Just last week we were at a friend's birthday party. I was playing with a couple of napkin rings, stacking them up and such, and when I tired of them I set them on the table. Immediately, as in not two seconds later, he snatched them up from the table and twirled them in his fingers. Astonished at his speed, I looked over at him and said, "You've been waiting for me to put them down all this time, haven't you?"

"Yes." (sheepish nod)

So it didn't surprise me the other night when I caught him fidgeting with three different items in the course of twenty minutes.

The hair clip: his favorite item and the most prone to breakage


Two pennies, the same two pennies that Ethan later gave to Angie.
Angie: "Penny for my thoughts?"
Ethan: "No, I just wanted to give you my two cents."
Uggh.


String. It's hard to see, but he's twirling it.


And then, of course, the string and the hair clip at the same time.


I love my fidgeter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your fidgeter too, charming lad overall, but I can't imagine where he got that irritating fidgeting.