Monday, September 15, 2008

Good Morning, Sunshine

I know this will come as a shock to most of you, but I have to confess something: sometimes I wake up angry.

Whew. I feel cleansed.

Specifically, I woke up angry today. My stupid housemates (yes, all four of you idiots) played music and shrieked with delight at 7:45 in the morning. Seven forty-five. The swinging door to my bedroom is no match for the decibels from the next room, and although I'm a heavy sleeper, I'm not, in fact, dead. While my housemates are all jerks, they are not the first to awaken my wrath in the a.m. My loving father always blared Glad, an early 90's a capella group, on Sunday mornings when I was a child. "A capella" literally means "in the manner of the chapel." I think that jolting innocent children out of peaceful slumber with revoltingly exuberant melodies is more "in the manner of the torture chamber" than the chapel, but that's just one woman's opinion. My roommates will get an earful when I see them, but that's neither here nor there.

What's here (and perhaps there) is that I awoke with a snarl. I was lying in bed grinding my teeth and spewing hushed anathemas when my phone rang. It was The Boss. The Boss said, "Emily, are you planning on coming to the team leader retreat today?"

My mind said, "Huh?"

I said, "Huh?"

"Well, you might be leading one of our mission trips next year, right? If you are, then you really need to be at the retreat today for some training. We're leaving right now, but we won't start the sessions for another hour. You can get directions at the office and then meet us at the retreat center later. It's only about a half hour drive."

My mind said, "Waaaaaaaahhhhhhhh."

I said, "Ok."

So I got up and prepared myself for a day of meetings, but I was angry. Oh was I angry.
"Rassem sassem stupid music frassem...dumb retreat...driving...grumble grumble...brushing teeth brushing shmushing...stupid greasy hair...zits Zits ZITS...gnashing gashing lashing...car keys...dumb...slam door kablam...no work done...$4 gas...great commission my ass!"

Yes, I was a regular Mother Teresa.

An hour later, I arrived at the retreat center slightly more centered, slightly calmer, but I still was in no mood for, well, for anything. Then those jerks from my office made me listen to tales from the mission field. They had me sit there in silence while they talked about the transforming power of Christ's love and while they told about changed lives. Aaron talked about a lame man who was able to walk after they prayed for him. Phil mentioned a guy who couldn't look you in the eye until he met Christ. That man is now the bishop of 35 churches. Bert, the big boss, even told about a baby that would've died a month ago had their medical mission team failed to go to Nairobi. The nerve of some people.

Perhaps I needed a bit of humility today. Perhaps I needed to learn some patience and flexibility. Perhaps some perspective was in order. I'll never be happy waking up to music, but that's ok. Next time I can remember the things worth waking up for...and I can suck it up.

6 comments:

belle said...

i just have to laugh!!! i agree, there is nothing more irritating than waking up to something chipper and happy. the very idea of someone actually liking to get up on a sunny day! what is wrong with some people?

there is a t-shirt at walmart for us realistic morning people. it says "i'll NEVER be a morning person" and it has the cutest little grumpy bunny on it. if i weren't so darned irritated at myself for being the perpetual night owl that i am, i might cop to it and wear the t-shirt.

Keeping Up With the Joneses said...

Proverbs 27:14

MOM

Emily said...

That's it, Mom! Prov. 27:14. I used to have that hanging on the wall of my dorm room. I was going to put it in this post, but I couldn't remember the reference and I was way too lazy to look it up. How pathetic is that?

MARK and LORI said...

funny funny emmy...

Elizabeth Glass-Turner: nicknamed Bitty in college by quirky Canadian roommate said...

I really liked your mumbled versions of your jumbled thoughts, especially gnashing gashing lashing.

Six in the Mix said...

Oh, Be-e glad, oh-oh-oh, be-e ga-ad!