Monday, August 25, 2008

The Routine

We interrupt your lunch break for this short announcement.
This morning I looked into the mirror at work and asked, "Mirror, why does my hair look so much better than usual today?"
"Because you actually showered before work," the mirror replied.
"Oh," I said.

My normal morning routine is as follows:
7:45 First alarm goes off. Snooze alarm.
7:53 Second alarm goes off. Snooze alarm.
7:55 First alarm goes off again. Snooze again.
7:58 Second alarm goes off again. Snooze again.
8:03, 8:05, 8:08, 8:13 Alarms continue to sound the call. Snooze, snooze, snooze, snooze.
I'm cognizant of only two snoozes, usually 7:45 and 8:08. I only know the rest exist because my alarms have 5 and 10 minute snoozes and there are more than 5 and 10 minutes between 7:45 and 8:15.
8:15 Get out of bed. Don robe. At my house, you never know who might be on the couch.
8:17 You know
8:19 Run brush through hair
8:20 Run brush through teeth. Hope I don't confuse my brushes.
8:23 Stare at closet
8:24 Don whichever shirt smells best and whichever pants are least wrinkled. Cross fingers for a match.
8:26 Run out door
8:27 Run back in door to retrieve keys, phone, or laptop
8:28 Leave for work. Rub eyes and slap face to stay awake for long commute.
8:30 Arrive at work. Be a ray of sunshine to an otherwise dark and pitiless world. Be grumpy until first cup of Irish Breakfast.
12:20p.m. Put in contacts on lunch break
5:15p.m. Shower
5:45p.m. Hair and makeup
6:00p.m. I'm ready for the day!

1 comment:

Angie said...

I know of your snoozes, it's like sweet music to me as I make eggs and coffee.